Have fun while staying safe around water this summer. Check out these tips to keep you and your family safe:
- Learn to swim - it's the best way to prevent drowning.
- Set water safety rules for your whole family based on swimming abilities.
- "Buddy Up" and always swim with a partner.
- Enter the water feet first.
- Enter headfirst only when the pool is clearly marked for diving and has no obstructions.
- Watch the sun - especially when it's reflected off the water. Remember to reapply sunscreen often.
- Obey all rules and posted signs.
- Watch out for the dangerous "too's" - too tired, too cold, too far from safety, too much sun, too much strenuous activity
- Pay attention to local weather conditions & forecasts, and stop swimming at the first indication of bad weather
Eleven branches of the YMCA of Metropolitan Fort Worth have swimming pools - four are indoor and nine are outdoor. In addition, Camp Carter YMCA has an outdoor pool that is used during the summer camp season. Check with these branches for specific aquatic program information:
Airport Area YMCA
Amon G. Carter, Jr. Downtown YMCA
Benbrook Community Center/YMCA
E.R. Van Zandt Southwest YMCA
Hood County YMCA
McDonald Community YMCA
Ryan Family YMCA